Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 368 (Saturday)

Woke up and got up early, cereal for breakfast then took Rosie (Dog) for a walk at West Woods.

I think wifey was expecting the Blue Bells to be fully out, but I dont think that will be for another week or two, but still the primroses and the few blue bells that are out make a nice scene :-)

When we got back from the woods dropped Rosie of at home and picked daughter up then went on to the supermarket for lunch :-) and weekly shop :-(

On arriving back at home it was to late to wash the bike before my ride so I set of on a planned 55 mile ride. About half way round I realised that I wouldn't make my deadline 4:30 arrival home so I cut a few corners of and ended up doing a 50 mile ride.

The roads were very quiet and I was really enjoying myself apart from the constant head wind I was battling against!

I was feeling a bit disappointed about my 25% hill failings last week so I thought I would climb some big hills today!!!


The first noticeable hill was at Broad Town..

Which I climbed with relative ease, then it was Hackpen Hill - A little more tricky but still climbed it without lifting out of the seat!

I have come to the conclusion that Hill climbing is as much a state of mind as it is physical ability! I am certain I have the ability but sometimes my self confidence fails...

After Hackpen it was a high speed run with a nice tail wind to Marlborough :-) A short stretch of A4 then it was back onto nice quiet country roads through Lockeridge and Boreham, at Alton I opted to shorten the ride and not traverse through new and exciting roads for me....

The road were nice and open and I was pleasantly not fighting a headwind!


I am certain the oil seed is flowering earlier this year???

I eventually made it home at gone 5pm :-( perhaps setting of at 2pm for a 50 mile ride isn't a good idea, when you have to be back at 4:30!!! Just because I see 20 mph + on the cycle computer doesn't mean that I cycle at 20mph average!

The cycle computer had today's ride as 49.98 miles in 3 hours 14 minutes with an average speed of 15.4 mph.

The RunGPS plot can be found here...

When I got home, I cooked the BBQ that wifey had prepared :-)

After tea I washed and oiled the bike in preparation for tomorrows ride :-) I am planning to skip household chores and go for another 100 miler :-) Venturing across the Severn Bridge and into Wales....Lets hope the weather forecast hold true!

No comments: