Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day 355 (Sunday)

Intention was to set of at 8 am, I did get up in plenty of time, but faffed around a bit and didn't set of until nearly 8:30 :-(

In my defense there was still a frost on the ground at 8am that had gone by 8:30 :-)

Wifey took some pictures of me looking very cool when I set off :-)


I started of on familiar road, Chippenham, Calne, Avebury, Marlborough then onto uncharted territories....

The roads were very rural and very unused, I was a bit worried about picking up a puncture.

Then it was back onto good roads at Axcroft.

From Lambourne onwards I was in Racehorse territory apparently, and the road signs reflected it!

Not sure what the difference between a horse on the road and a racehorse on the road is???

Just after Wantage I had the first sight of my target, Didcot.

10- 15 miles later I was there...

Then it was on to Abingdon where I used the Cycle lanes I found last year. The it was a turn onto the homeward bound stretch on a slightly different return loop to Wantage.

After Wantage I followed the RunGPS instructions very carefully as I was onto local cycle ways and byways to Childry. Then I followed the B4057 to Ashbury where I saw the familiar Uffington White Horse along the way.

The GPS made it easier to follow the convoluted route from Ashbury to Wootton Bassett where I got so lost last summer - where the Dawes broke down and wifey had to rescue me....No such event happened this time!

From Wootton Bassett I was back onto my own tramping ground and I turned back onto the back roads to Dauntsey then on to Tytherton Lucas and Home

The cycle computer had the ride as 112.71 miles in 7 hours 5 mins with an average speed of 15.9 mph

The RunGPS plot can be found here...

No comments: