Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day 46 (Saturday)

w00t today was a good day.

Woke up early and the day was already warm, sat outside and had porridge and coffee ;-)

Wifey 'n' me took Rosie (Dog) for a cycle walkies ;-) did 5 miles at slooooowwwww pace. Got back and went for a walk into Chippenham to buy some brake block's and 2 sets of tyres (Yellow and Red mountain bike)

Had a couple of Ham rolls then set of on a biggy ride at 13:10 ;-) (I had a rough plan of route but I thought I would see where the ride took me)

I set of out of Chippenham toward Bath, took a route through back roads to Corsham (Roads I last cycled down at 17 when I cycled 30 miles a day to college in Chipenham), I then headed back onto the Bath road, cycling at high speed past RAF Rudloe Manor then through Box village past Box Tunnel, turned left at Bath Easton and headed towards Bradford on Avon, then Towards Trowbridge then headed to Westbury then Erlestoke and Devizes then Calne finally heading back into Chippenham a total of 52.75 miles accomplished in 3 hours 39 mins, according to the cycle computer. The gmap of the route is here. unfortunately track me lost the plot!

Part of the ride was very nostalgic, I remember very clearly cycling Corsham, Box, Bath Easton. Trowbridge as a kid.

It was very cool just to head out and not really know where I was heading (unfortunately or perhaps fortunately I have lived in Wiltshire for almost my entire life so actually getting completely lost is unlikely, I generally know where each town is in relation to Chippenham)

Interestingly the things I thought I would have an issue with on the ride didn't cause major problems. I did get numb feet! and ran out of fluid's (Learnt already to always carry change for emergency drink or grub!) so stopped and bough top up drink. I stopped at about 25 miles hopped of the bike and stretched, this worked wonders! the aching muscles stopped and it gave the butt a rest from the saddle.

So today I did a total of 57 miles!......5 slow with wifey and dog and 52 working hard...

I feel good! I have achieved another milestone. And I can still walk talk and function!

I am totally in awe of how far I can travel on a bike under my own steam! and how fast it can be accomplished.

No comments: