Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 41 (Bank Holiday Monday)

It was VERY WET and VERY WINDY today, 25 mph NE wind gusting to 34 mph.
Like a fool I decided it would be a good idea to go for a ride ;-)

I enjoyed riding down the Chippenham - Calne track so much yesterday, I started of down there today ;-). I cycled into gusting wind all the way to Lyneham 12.5 miles then went around the Wootten Basset roundabout then returned back down the Calne - Lyneham cycle track.

So today I did 25 miles with half of it into 25-35 mph winds. But still I returned feeling I can do more.

The one sad thing I realised is that the angle of wind that is required to push you along is quite acute, So although I was riding into wind to get to Lyneham it wasn't exactly a tail wind on the return ;-( - We really must not underestimate the affect the wind is going to have on us on the JOGLE, places where my speed is normally up to 17 mph I was struggling to reach 10 mph.

Having been reading some more of the long distance cycle book it has become very clear that the actual cycling is just a part of the problems we are going to face. It also suggests that I should increase the distance I am doing by about 10% per week, mixing easy rides with rest days and a gradual push once a week.

So I intend to do Monday Swim, Tuesday Day off, Wed 20, Thursday 10, Friday Swim, Saturday Push 10%, Sunday as I see fit ;-). The one dead cert is that the 20 -25 is now comfortable.

I would also like to have achieved at least 2 100 mile rides by next May. It sounds bizarre when 40 days ago I thought 10 miles was a long way, but reading this book shows a couple of milestones and the major mental hurdle is 100 miles, It will give me an idea what we are in for! and how best to control de-hydration, and carbohydrate intake. (my god I am starting to sound like a sport billy!)

I am looking forward to going out on a ride with Dave on Wednesday ;-) But also a little daunted, I feel that I am making good progress, but I have never ridden with anybody else, (Even as a kid!) so my self confidence may be completely blown out of the water as I struggle to keep up with a racing whippet! (I must focus on the fact I am after endurance and not speed!) There is no way that after 40 days I will be a match for somebody that has been cycling for 35 years!!!! Besides the forecast for Wednesday is rain so I will be on the mountain bike - No way the new bike is going out in the rain!

No comments: