Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 35

Well the bike is built and I have taken it for a test ride. (It took a lot longer than I expected! started at 630 finished at 830)

OMG the small hill near the house was nothing! and the funny shaped hand grips are really comfortable. I think I'm gonna like this bike!

The rapid fire gears are sweet.

We did take some picies of the assembly but I wouldn't want to bore you. I will take a picture outside tomorrow before I go on the ride.

All in all I am very happy at the moment with the bike. Lets see how I get on on a real ride tomorrow!

Today is my first day of from doing any cycling or swimming and I think I miss it! ;-( But everything and everyone says the downtime is as important as the uptime!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bezza,

Some immediate setup tips to get you on the road without wasting effort and damaging anything.

Seat height: this is dictated by the length of your leg. Sit on the bike and put you heels on the pedals. You should come very close to locking your leg when rotating the pedals backwards. You should not have any rotation of the hips and your legs should not lock at the knee.

Seat lateral position: this is dictated by your leg length. Sit on the bike and put the balls of your feet on the pedal axles. Bring a crank to the horizontal and plumbline the knee joint. The plumbline should line up the knee with the centre of the axle. It is important to note that the plumbline needs to be on the knee joint and not the front of the knee cap. So feel for the little hollow on the side of the leg behind the kneecap.

Best regards

DaveTheA

John Berry said...

Thanks Dave....I wish you had told me that 3 weeks ago.

I was getting knee ache and I have a very weak right and due to trapping my ulnar nerve (Look at Day 12). At that point I learnt about saddle height, handlebar height and general reach.

Where as the Mountain Bike has very little adjustment other than handlebar height and seat height the Dawes has everything adjustable!

Although like I posted today! what's your opinion on toe clips? Is it worth me persevering and getting used to them?