Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 75 (Sunday)

Well I wasn't going to go out today but I had finished all of my chores and after lunch I got bored...This cycling thing is a bit addictive!

I decided I would explore the rest of Sustrans route 4 from Chippenham to Avebury, then see If i could work out the Kennet and Avon route back ;-) here's a route I found on the interweb

I set of on the familiar Chippenham -> Calne cycle route, when I arrived at Calne I got instantly lost ;-) I cycled backwards and forwards around Calne until I finally found the continuation of the cycle way (The route is very strangely signed)

I finally picked up the route and headed of on very rough tracks.


Some of the cycleway can hardly be called a path....


The cycle way takes you right past RAF Yatesbury (Closed in 1964)


I eventually ended up right in the centre of Avebury, I then followed some other cyclists and ended up on the Ridgeway - I didn't really expect that!


I stopped when I reached Overton Hill and called wifey as I could not work out how to go on to the Kennet and Avon, we decided that it would all be to difficult so I headed straight on back home down the A4, following in reverse some of yesterdays route ;-)


So today I completed 38.2 miles on the Mountain Bike (Walter) where the majority of it was cross country (It was a lot tougher - But FUN)

Trackme did a fair job of plotting the route (Even the zig zagging across Calne) - I have now worked out how to get to the Kennet and Avon so I intend to repeat this trip next Sunday and at least go to Devizes along the Canal if not all the way to Bath ;-)

I have also removed the back wheel from 'Diana' and its ready to go to the Bike shop for repair. (Wifeys MotorBike has turned into a bike hook ;-) - I will get it repaired professionally this time, but I will also buy some spare spokes and next time I will attempt to fix it and true it myself ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,
Now that is what I call a fantastic cross training ride. That will do you the world of good. Did I not warn you that you will break spokes.....

You need to listen to the bike and try not to over torque the back wheel.

Keep on twiddling

John Berry said...

It is a fantastic ride...

And yes the spokes..it was a bit of a shock ;-)