Saturday, June 28, 2008

Day 74 (Saturday) - Mic, Marian & Nathan

We had an early rise in preparation for Mic, Marian and Nathan, I also wanted to inspect the back wheel on 'Diana'

My worse fears were born true I had broken a spoke on the cassette side which is why the wheel kicked out of true. I twisted the broken spoke around an adjoining spoke (So it wouldn't snag the chain or anything else important) and trued the wheel as best I could with a spoke missing! (If it wasn't for the planned ride I would not have taken the bike out!)

Photy of broken spoke

I will take the wheel out and get the spoke replaced and the wheel trued on Monday

Mic and Marian arrived in good time for the 10:30 start (About 9:50) - Nathan as expected didn't ;-)

We eventually set of at about 10:50


I did find it quit difficult to keep the pace down when I thought I had slowed down enough for Nathan to keep up, Nathan had the audacity to speed up and overtake! - It only happened the once!

Zoom in to see Nathan ;-)


Ahh here he is....


Joking aside I think Nathan did extremely well to keep with us for the ride, I know I couldn't have done anything like it On my 2nd Day, at that point I had only just been able to do 10 miles!

The first leg of the ride was 22 Miles, mainly A4 with a nice tail wind which made the hills quite nice to go up ;-)

When we turned the corner at Clatford we were smacked in the face with 15MPH head winds.

We arrived at the Pub at about 13:20 (A bit later than expected-but no real bother)

Nathan wisely decided to stop at this point - He did exceptionally well to get there ;-)

We left the pub at about 14:45 (I was very much anaesthetised by a couple of bottles of Green Goblin), We returned via Devizes, Bromham, Melksham, Lacock, and Chippenham Arriving back in Chippenham at 16:56 ish (The Cycle Comp had the entire journey at 48.7 Miles)

Not the Fastest round trip but a very good learning experience. It was nice to go out with friends and see the countryside ;-)

The trackme server did a good plot of the route :-)

Here's some more photies of the trip.

Mic giving a thumbs up


Marian n Mic pulling in to wait.....


Me ;-)


I will have to learn to pace myself with other people, I have my own speed that I am comfortable with, Unfortunately it is faster than anybody else ;-( However It was quite nice to pull up every 10 minutes or so and let them catch up. Today's ride is an experience we must do again - I think it is essential that we have to find a pace or a way of riding that does not let us split up or spread out, and NOT force people to go at a speed they are not comfortable at (either slow or fast)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont think it will be too much of an issue regarding the pace in which we ride. We are all at different levels at the moment. however I think it is important that we all get used to riding together and nearer the time rides like Saturday we will all be much closer, we are bound to all approach hills or travel at slightly different speeds...Its something to think about but I am not sure we have a true reflection just yet of everyones riding speed

btw - thanks for hosting today, really enjoyed it.