Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 68 (Sunday)

Wow a lot of firsts today ;-)

First time 60 miles (I actually did 61 Miles - The gmap plot doesn't show the mile + of me getting lost ;-)
First time cycle through a City
First time I had to take a map with me because I had NO idea about the roads!
First time I actually planned to buy lunch out and stop at half way point

I cycled to Chew Magna Reservoir and back, touching the outskirts of Bristol on the way there and cycling through the city of Bath on the way back.

Had I have actually checked the wind speed before I left I may not have bothered!
The met office report when I returned stated...
Sunny intervals 16.2 °C WSW 25 mph Wind speed Gusting to 38 mph

So the first 30 Miles was into 25 Mph head winds! I was actually finding it hard work cycling down hill! But once I set off It is difficult for me to give up, Besides my thoughts were for an easy ride home ;-)

So I set of from home at 10:15 arriving at a nice tea room on the shores of the reservoir 2 Hours 20 mins later, I stopped and had a can of drink and a Ham Sandwich, The ride back was with the wind through Bath and up Box Hill arriving back at home at about 3:30......

I hadn't quite realised that all of the effort of getting there would mean that even the easy ride back would be tough!

I took 3 500ml bottles of liquid (2 Squash and 1 Energy drink) along with 3 Taxi Bars. I polished the lot off! But due to the slightly cooler weather I had about the right amount! If it were warmer the I would have needed more!

But this weekend my Total mileage has shot through 900 Miles. I feel that my planned 80 Miles to west Bay is within my grasp (Providing the wind isn't 25 MPH+)

This weekends total Mileage is ...46.9 + 61 = 107.9

If the wind is strong when we do JOGLE we will be in trouble! Today was tough even without the extra 10 miles!

Ohhh the GPS Phone went from fully charged to flat in 4 hours, gracefully turning itself off, I am planning on getting a freeloader solar charger to hopefully keep the power going - I dont like the idea of being hours away from home without a phone!

No comments: