Thursday, February 5, 2009

Day 296

Woke up early, looked out of bedroom window to see a world full of white, it had snowed quite heavily overnight.

I opted to work at home again, The thought of driving 70 miles at snail speed did not appeal to me!

I managed to tear myself away from work at about 12:20 ish and prepared the mountain bike for a cycle down the Calne branch line to Black Dog Halt :-) I had been thinking it would be fun to cycle in the snow down the cycle way all through the summer, and now my chance had come :-)

Now a couple of things that may seem obvious are, snow is slippery and snow is quite thick, now some less obvious stuff, snow get stuck to bicycle tyres, snow hides ground undulations, you cant see where the track finishes and the grass verge begins, it is difficult to steer a bicycle in snow, when you lean a bike in snow it doesn't!

I managed to make it all the way to Black Dog a mere 5 miles in 30 minutes! It was tougher going than I had thought! Thankfully I didnt fall off

The return journey was simply a case of follow my own wheel ruts :-)

I eventualy made it back home 1 hour and 3 minutes later having covered a massive 10 miles :-)
I didnt fall off :-) It was very hard work! and I think I probably sweated as much as I do on the Turbo Trainer.

It was worth doing, but I dont think I will be rushing out to ride in the snow again for the foreseeable future.

No comments: