Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 270 (Saturday)

Hmmmmm today was cold!

Got up at a sensible time for such a cold day, stoked up the fire had porridge for breky then took Rosie for a walk with wifey at Morgan's Hill (The frost was very thick on everything it almost looked like snow!)

On the way back from Morgans Hill we stopped at Peddlers in Calne and picked up some bearings, grease and chain wax.

After lunch I almost didn't set off on a cycle ride as Lyneham was still showing -0.8 deg C but wifey reminded me that I was cycling at lower temperatures over Christmas.

It is always the thought of going out that is worse than the actual event, once I actually get going I warm up nicely and really enjoy it! (I must be mad!)

I eventual set of on my 'normal 25' (It was to cold to go further!) on return I gave the bike a good wash and dry down.

After tea I stripped down the front wheel hub to check on the bearings

I was very impressed the grease was still in good condition and well packed and the bearings themselves where fine.

I cleaned everything up, removing the old grease and repacked it all with fresh grease.

I now know that the bearings are good, and the rear wheel is about to be replaced with the warranty job so no need to expend any effort there!

I also fitted the new frame pump to the Dawes today, its a bit more solid then anything I have touched before so hopefully I will not break it!

And whilst I am taking pictures of bike pumps, here's a picture of the very impressive travelling track pump fitted to the Merida.


The cycle computer has today's ride down as 25.62 miles in 1 hour 48 minutes with an average speed of 14.1 mph, Lyneham had the temperature at -0.8 when I started the ride and -0.4 when I finished, with a 3mp southerly wind.

No comments: