Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 263 (Saturday)

Had intentions of going straight out for a ride, but I got side tracked and didn't make it out until almost 10:30.

I hadn't realised how cold it was, I got fooled by the clear sunny sky and the reduced amount of frost on the ground, checking with Lyneham met office on my return they had the temperature at -1.9 when I set off! (silly old me)

I set off on the reverse 25, and warmed up nicely going up Bencroft Hill, I stopped at the top and took some photies of the countryside

When I got to Lyneham and turned into a tail wind I realised how cold it was!

The worst of it all was that I couldn't go straight in and warm up when I got home because I had to wash the Dawes off.

When we went out shopping yesterday I stopped at Halfords to buy some threadlock to hopefully put an end to the crank bolt working loose on the Dawes, whilst I was there I bought a Travelling track pump :-) Hopefully it will put an end to me breaking pumps!

Today I cycled 25.69 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes.

Hopefully the roads will dry out for tomorrow and I can get back out on the Merida, I am keen to try out my old 20 mile route to see if I can now do it at 20 mph :-) My 25 mile route has some very steep hills in it and drags my average speed down!

Stop press.......
Just put some threadlock on the crank bolt, when I finished that I checked the chain stretch and as I thought the chain was worn out so I replaced it with one I bought a week or two ago.
So the Dawes now has a nice shiny new chain and a crank that shouldn't work loose any more!

The chain replacement was easy enough, although my chain tool was cheap and nasty and broken! so I had to borrow my neighbours, I have now ordered a good quality chain tool on-line :-)

No comments: