Saturday, March 28, 2009

Day 347 (Saturday)

Got up reasonably early 'ish, Got wifey's bike out of the shed and gave it a check over :-)

Wifey n Me then set of for a short ride, with Rosie (Dog) running along. We did 2.5 miles then let Rosie have a rest and drink then headed back home, so a nice easy spin 5 miles for me, a re-introduction to the bicycle for wifey and a nice exercise for Rosie :-)

After lunch I set of on a nice planed 75 mile ride - Chippenham -> Castle Coombe -> Old Sodbury -> Westonbirt -> Tetbury -> Nailsworth -> Minchinhampton -> Kemble -> South Cerney -> Brinkworth -> The Somerfords -> Sutton Benger -> East Tytherton -> Wick Hill -> Chippenham

I was cycling into a headwind ALL the way to Nailsworth!!! IT was VERY hard work.

At Nailsworth I was supposed to turn right onto the "National Cycle Route 45", I did turn right and was climbing up a VERY steep hill and the GPS kept complaining that I was cycling away from the route....I turned around went down the hill and quite close to the end of the road there was another little turning that looked like a private road.....That was the cycle way! (I have now discovered without a GPS and a planed track on the cycle routes you would NEVER be able to find or follow them!

The cycle way was really quiet and very nice :-)



Today I cycled through many interestingly named places such as 'Tiddley Wink' (Just before Yatton Keynell),'Petty France' and 'Dunkirk' (on the A46), 'Knockdown' on the Westonbirt road but my favourite named place has to be....

(Just outside Nailsworth on the 45 Cycle Route)

The Ride from South Cerney to B4042 was incredibly Fast and Fun! I had a 14mph+ wind behind me and I was averaging 24mph+. Turning on to the B4042 towards Brinkworth all that changed when I was fighting against a cross wind again.....

The Somerfords and Sutton Benger passed at high speed again :-) The 1:6 of Wick Hill was an interesting experience as I had already covered 70 miles at that point and my energy levels were obviously a little depleted!! I did cycle up it without stopping :-) But I did have to climb out of the saddle as I started to feel my legs turning to jelly :-(

I had to stop at the top of the Hill to change the battery on the phone... It lasted for an amazing 72 miles and nearly 5 hours with just the wind charger for assistance :-)

(Note the photo was taken earlier in the day at about 37 miles)

Today's ride was great fun the ride into the wind and across the wind 50 miles or so was definitely worth it for the 20 miles of high speed tail wind :-)

The cycle computer had the ride as 77.26 miles in 5 hours with an average speed of 15.4 mph...The Merida has now done 1063.1 miles!!!!!

The RunGPS plot of today's ride can be found here...

No comments: