Saturday, March 21, 2009

Day 340 (Saturday)

Got up, had breakfast then went for a haircut! I had promised myself NOT to cut my hair again, but the warmer weather and the fact my hair was taking hours to dry after my frequent showers meant a haircut was a sensible option.

After the haircut, we took Rosie (Dog) for a quick walk then I set of on a planned 85 mile ride.
I decided it would be a jolly good idea to cycle to Longleat House then on to Wells and back home.

The first leg to Longleat was a little cooler than I had hoped, but the sun was out and the sky was cloudless :-)

The road in to Longleat house was fantastic, very fast downhill and the house looked amazing!



It turned out that there was a film crew at the house filming a new TV film (Interesting that they picked possibly the nicest day of the year so far to film a snow scene!)


From Longleat, it was a straight forward ride to Wells, but one I have been planning to do since I started this cycling madness, when I was an early teenager, I cycled from my parents to Wells and back, with my sister (About a 70 mile round trip direct) and I have been eager to reproduce that ride :-) (I am still trying to get the photographs from my sister!)


I cycled around Wells city centre, without actually going into it or stopping! Then headed for home. Half way up a never ending hell I stopped and removed the cycling jacket and re-organised the depleting drink supply.

The solution to the phone power issues appears to work well, I carried: 1) The wind turbine charger; 2) The solar charger; 3) A spare fully charged phone battery; 4) The home made charger and some 9 volt batteries.

The Wind Charger and the 1600 mAh Battery lasted for about 3 hours before the critical low power warning appeared, I then swapped out the phone battery with a fully charged 1350 mAh and plugged in the home made charger and a fresh 9 volt battery - that then kept everything running nicely for the rest of the ride. I have also now found that I can load a training session back on the phone and continue from where I left off :-)

The RunGPS navigation worked perfectly (Well at least after I rebooted the phone just before Longleat anyway)-It appeared to completely loose the satellites twice - It the clearly states that you are x thousand feet away from the track.

This does mean that the RunGPS track of the ride has a few random plots within it! RunGPS plot here... (I did manually plot a clean version of the route here...)

The cycle computer had todays session as 84.69 miles in 5 hours 25 minutes with an average speed of 15.6 mph

No comments: